Thursday, April 28, 2011

Redneckedness, Daisy Dukes and Growing up Mexican-American in Texas

Oh yes there are still Rednecks in Texas, even with the influx of folks we have had over the last several decades. From what I hear from those transplants, finding a true Texan is hard these days.

Yep, there are still plenty of rednecks running amuck in Texas. But clarification is in order here. 

There are rednecks, then there are cowboys and there are country boys. I love country boys and cowboys, but I do draw the line in the dirt against a redneck.  Sometimes it is hard to discern them because they tend to dress alike. Jeans, belts, boots and hats. A cowboy and a country boy will be polite and open the door for you....A redneck will slam a door in your face, among other things. I could write a book on Redneckness and there would still be more material to cover before the truth be told.  And I hear there are comedians making big money off that shtick. 

Being a third generation Dallas Texas gal, I understand the importance of a good pair of denim some diamonds, big hair, and Daisy Dukes!  Back when I  modeled my way through college, I had a pair of Daisy Dukes that landed me an interview with then up and coming rock band, Green Day and legendary funk master George Clinton.
Green Day had just finished their performance and as they came through the press area, Billy said "Wow, now that's a pair of Daisy Dukes!"

I later got invited to be a guest up on the Main Stage with George and his P-Funk All Stars at  Lollapalooza.  Dancing on stage while he performed "Atomic Dog" remains one of my favorite college broadcasting memories!

That was in the mid 90's and being Latina in Texas was a hot trend. Selena's music was popular and a phenom, by the name of Jennifer Lopez had emerged as a sexy Latina in Hollywood.  Suddenly, I was sought after because of my ethnic look, a far cry from growing up amongst the Rednecks as a child.  Even though I spoke better English than quite a few of them, they still loved to yell "Hey, you better run, Immigration is on it's way, Mexican."  You see there may have been a total of 20-25 non white people in my entire high school. Subtract 20 by 4 grades and there was approximately 5 people per grade and that included Blacks and Asians. It was a tough time but in way, I credit those rednecks for being great teachers. To this day, I can handle almost any cow patty tossed at me or wade knee deep through bull shit and still come out smelling like a rose.  

Yep, there are still rednecks in Texas, but when I die, I may not go to Heaven, I hear they don't let cowboys in....and if I don't, just let me go to Texas, Texas is as close as I've been.

No comments:

Post a Comment