Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Labradors, Lewisville and Love....

A face book friend and fellow Old Town Lewisville business owner has a black lab that had puppies last week and while looking at Layla's photos, I felt  inspired me to write about my own Lab. Her official title is Luna the Black Lab from Lake Lewisville. She is my pride and joy obviously and for those of you who are loyal Labrador Lovers, you understand why we love these dogs so much. They are some of the sweetest and loyal dogs that you could ever meet, although my Luna is way too much like the "Marley" the yellow lab that was featured in that movie with Jennifer Anniston and Dallas native, Owen Wilson. Yes she has jumped out of a moving car,  thank God it was my MG Midget and we were in our neighborhood going slowly. ( I had just shifted down a gear)

I taught her how to swim when she was just 8 weeks old, over at the Cove on the south side of Lake Lewisville, close to Eagle Point Marina. I put her on my boogie board and pushed her around in it. She fell asleep! That summer five and half years ago was a great summer. Every Saturday and Sunday, we would walk down to the cove and teach her to swim.
 .
Now we have christened the cove, Luna's Cove. She is a swimmer! Apparently black Labs are great water hunting dogs, but not Luna! She hunts frisbees and sticks.  We have quite a collection thanks to all the frisbee golfers who suck on their shots.  Did I mention she is bilingual. I taught her the command "Dame un beso" (give me a kiss) and she does it. You've heard of dogs burying their bones, not her. Luna buries flour tortillas in my back yard instead. Oh yeah and she buried her piece of pizza last month in my vegetable garden. We have a gate on it now!

Another longtime customer and OTBA member, told me that up until his black lab's death, they shared a bed and a pillow! Wow, Luna does not get that much love, well she does sleep on the bed with my hubby and me.

Luna, is a dog, but more than that, she is a great listener and a caring friend. I can remember vivdly the first time she heard me crying and she ran into the bathroom where I was and started crying too, and licking the tears off my face.

The first time I had to leave her to go away with my husband, I had such anxiety. I worried so much and kept calling the kennel to ask how she was doing. She got put into "time out" for body slamming another dog while they were in their "social" time. 

When we drove up into the driveway, I thought she would be asleep, as it was past midnight. The minute she heard my voice as walked into the house, she charged me and knocked me over, licking and pawing me. She gave me a bloody nose from it, but who cares? How can you be mad at a being that loves you that much?

Luna the Black Labrador from Lake Lewisville, your the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment