Wednesday, April 27, 2011

True Stories, Tijuaana and Tequila

Truth is stranger than fiction, and every writer knows this is true. I believe that most fiction is in fact truth; unless it is something like Harry Potter, it is based on truth in that writer's life. The last time I was in Mexico was 13 years ago. My boyfriend (who later that year became my husband) took me to see my sister who was living in California. We decided to take a day trip down to the the border. 

Do you wanna Tijuana amigo?

Tijuana was still a charming place even then, a bit seedy but still the Old Mexico of lore. We had our portrait drawn by a little old Mexican man and, shopped the flea market. I bought way too much stuff but I wanted to leave behind as many American dollars as I could.  Ever since I was a 7 year old child and my mother took me to Monterrey Mexico for our family vacation, I can remember the poverty and the despair on the faces of children, young girls, old men.  I wish it was different. I wish Mexico and her people had more money for the common man, for the average Jose.  More on that later though....

Next was  some grub. We found the requisite touristy Mexican restaurant. Before I knew what was happening my husband had ordered me a tequila shot whereupon I was lifted off the ground, spun around and another waiter with a bottle of tequila with a spout poured a shot in my mouth, I was spun around again. As I spining around the floor, I could hear my husband laughing his head off.  When I was finally placed on the ground, people were laughing and my face was as red as tan Texicana's can get.

But wait there is more,  not only is my husband funny like that, but he can be spontaneous when the mood hits him. He picked up the waiter who had spun me around and proceeded to spin him.  By then everyone in the place was smiling, laughing and clapping,

Mexico. I have not been back. I can't, but you see, my husband gave me some better memories than the last time I was there.

Mexico Lindo....where are you, amigo?

1 comment: