Saturday, April 23, 2011

My head is already hurting just remembering Easter past....

Easter is here. Hard boiled eggs, Painted eggs, Deviled Eggs and Cascarones (Confetti eggs used to crack over some one's head)
Yes, my family does the cascarones and yes, I usually end up with a headache because it seems to me that I have one of the most beloved heads to hit every Easter.

One time when my children were younger, I thought I would be ambitious and make them all by hand!  This was way before Wal-Mart and Kroger carried these eggs!  I began the process several weeks before Easter by not cracking my morning's eggs in the frying pan, instead I would tap out a small hole at the top with my finger.  I would hoard up to 6-7 dozen of the eggs and I hid them up high in a cupboard in the Styrofoam packing so I would not have to smell them!

Then I stayed up the night before to cut the confetti by hand. Different colored paper, a pair of scissors, a big bowl and a glass of wine after the kiddoes went to sleep and I got to cracking! (LOL)  Trust me after a couple of hours of this...I was delirious!   The effort was worth it, the kids painted them all themselves in morning with some help from a sleepy mommy. To this day my daughter makes very sure that she brings a lot of cracking eggs, because deep in her memory bank she remembers that triumphant Easter when we arrived with the most! What I started continues to this day....we are all still trying to out do each  
other with the most cascarones!

Enough about all the silliness, Easter for us Christians is about Jesus Christ rising from the dead. I am hopeful that in some way we will all rise up tomorrow in one way or another, forgive others and ourselves and be a little bit more like JC.

Happy Easter All.

No comments:

Post a Comment