Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Old Mexico vs.New Mexico - Introduction

Controversial title; it may seem, however it is not a contest but more of a comparison and not a true side by side comparison but highly subjective. From my point of view. I am Mexican American obviously, 3rd generation Texas Gal and I speak Tex Mex more than true Spanish. So when I opened my doors here 9 anos ago, I started getting customers from Nex Mexico  after I painted the front of the shop. Wonderful tales of how beautiful "The Land of Enchantment" was, talk of turqouise, of American Indian pueblos and the city of Santa Fe. In December of 2003 I announced to my hubby that we were going to New Mexico after Christmas for vacation. We left on a Sunday where upon I slept the entire trip. When my husband woke me up, we were in the foothills of the city of Sante Fe and I could make out the pueblo style houses from the twinkling lights scattered about. It did look magical! We made it to our B&B and when we opened the car door, cold crisp air hit us hard, but more so was the smell in the air. We both looked at each other and said "What is that smell?" and simultaneously we both said "I like it!.   

Thus began my love affair with New Mexico. More later.

We found out later it was pinion wood from our innkeeper and was burning in all the fireplaces in town.

Adios for now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment