Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Recipe Rescue, Retirement and Rain

Promised you folks some recipes but as the rain has been on my mind this afternoon, I got a late start on my blog. One recipe today: For you salsa lovers, try this if you like a citrus taste.  My cousin Debbie, my sister Lisa and Cliff Harris love my Tomatillo Salsa.

Dallas Tortilla's Tomatillo Salsa

5 Lbs Fresh Tomatillos
1 bunch Cilantro
One Half Onion
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1TBSP Onion Powder
1TBSP Salt
1TSP Black Pepper

Directions: Boil the tomatillo's down. Approximately 30-40 minutes. When you can see the pulp and they are mushy, they are done. Turn off heat, drain all liquid except 1/2-1 cup. Let cool.
10-15 minutes.
While waiting, pick off leaves off the cilantro bunch. Should have about one cup of cilantro. Blend tomatillos and all other ingredients. Blend well - about 1-2 minutes on high speed. Some  blenders have a salsa button. Mine does. Black & Decker. A great product.

Serve warm with our Chicken Tamales or our Lower Fat Green Mole Chicken Tamales. Add Dallas Tortilla & Tamale Factory All Natural Nacho Chips and you have a great Authentic Mexican Meal.

The rain is diminishing but I still have my purse ready to dash and dive into my "safe" hallway here at the shop. Writing about my salsa recipe reminds me of the time I stopped by the Marsalis location to say hi to my Dad, where I found him wearing an apron, safety goggles and with his blender out on the table.  

"What's up Dad?" "Hello, Mija, just in my laboratory working on my salsa recipes." I laughed at his goggles and said "Why the goggles?"  "Because Mija, these peppers are so hot, they could take an eye out."  I remember him giggling at what he said and how delicious the fresh salsa was. But, boy was he right! His Salsa Verde is hot!

My Dad is still at the counter at lunch time, greeting and waiting on his customers. He loves people, loves to work and laughs along side with them. Sometimes he talks of retiring, I think more when he is tired. But most times, he likes to talk about my grandfather and how he died before he quit working. He likes to say, "You are going to have to carry my body out of this place, mija." And yes, Dad, I believe we will have to.

And I hope it is not soon! Never would be the best, Dad....

1 comment:

  1. Hah, salsa verde is hot, but then you have salsa roja which is even hotter, typically... and the salsa spice list goes on and on if you're talking about Mexican cuisine.

    I love tomatillo salsas though, and I just published my favorite here that I think you might like. It's from Mexico and it's called "salsa taquera", and it's served at virtually every single taco stand in the country--it's THAT popular: http://eauthenticmexicanrecipes.com/mexican-salsa-recipe/authentic-mexican-salsa-taquera-recipe

    ReplyDelete