Friday, September 9, 2011

Remember When....It's gonna be a tough weekend....Get your kleenex ready...

9/9/11

Two more days before we will relive the horror of 9/11. I am emotional already, given the last few weeks with the City of Lewisville, and now the TV screen showing all the news coverage of the tradegies that happened here on our soil. The images of the destruction, of people crying are absolutely killing me and yet I cannot turn away from watching it.  9/11 is also my wedding anniversary and it is bittersweet to feel happy that I am still in love with my husband and that we are still together. Ten years ago when it happened, we did not celebrate that night.  Neither of us wanted to. For several years following the aftermath of 9/11, we declined to enjoy ourselves, rather we joined hands with the rest of the nation in somber remembrance of our fallen heroes.

Ever so slowly we began to go back out again. We started with Grapefest, going on the first night the festival opens and we quietly had a blast. Rain killed the attendance that year, but we walked hand in hand with the soft raindrops falling on us, laughing, shopping and drinking our wine. That became our new anniversary tradition. Some years, we would go twice to the festival. Gradually over the years, we felt like it was ok to be happy on that day and to do our own remembering.

I am also strolling down memory lane a lot more lately, or actually strolling down Mill St.
A lot of the old businesses are gone and the new ones don't stay around for very long.
I am in a very weird position with my own customers, now as well....They want to know when the Tamale Eating Contest is and if I am doing it again this year.

I find I am a bit tongue tied.

I pulled out my water proof mascara this morning, I plan to wear it all weekend. Got my kleenex box ready. Hey , it gets ugly. Remember that scene in You've Got Mail, where Meg Ryan has a cold and she is depressed that her bookstore has closed. Tom Hanks brings daisies to her apartment and finds her sobbing into her kleenex, yeah that's me. I get pretty pathetic when I cry. I walked into the shop today holding my kleenex and crying, crying for New York, for the firemen, for those who had to jump out of a burning building, for the widows, for the kids, for us all and for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment