Thursday, September 1, 2011

Football, Fear and Flying Donkeys

September is back and that means football here in Texas!  The high schoolers started last week playing in over 100 degree temperatures. NFL Pre Season and Saturday College Games on the tube.  And every year I say the same thing. Give pizza a rest and eat some hot tamales from Dallas Tortilla & Tamale Factory with your coca-cola or your cold beer. Change it up a bit. Skip the BBQ too. Live a little...Latin Style.

Football is good for our economy here in Texas. Say what you will, but it is Big Business and frankly I look forward to having footbal back in my life for the next four months. And yes, every year, I start up with the mantra...maybe this is the year, maybe this is our year. All you true blue Cowboy fans know exactly what I am saying.

Maybe Football will save us from the pervasive fear that is floating in the air, like foul bad breath. Watching a game, eating some good food, hanging out with friends and family, we can relax a bit and take a break from fires, floods, falling stock markets and fear of the future.

Can't hurt.

Several years ago, my husband and I were doing our Christmas Eve ritual, waking up at 3:45 am, dressing in the dark, grabbing our coats and driving to the Tamale factory in the pitch darkness. We are usually one of a few cars or maybe the only car on the road at that time on Christmas Eve. We made it to Dallas with no problem, loaded up the truck with piping hot tamales. We had gotten there before my father even, so we did not get to see him.
Heading back to the shop, I was fiddling with the radio, like I usually do, trying to find some loud rock n roll to get my blood pumping when all of my sudden, my hubby screams "Oh Shit"! and in a voice I had never heard him use before.

You have to understand this first. Because it is important. My husband very rarely curses. The only time I have seen him lose his temper and swear like a sailor is on the golf course!  I think it was the sound of his voice that made my blood run cold and I looked up just in time to see a small white import on my side of the car, but that wasn't what made my husband scream. He had seen it before I had. There was a large donkey, wide eyed, transfixed staring down from at least 6-7 foot high in our lane. The import who had come up from behind us blazing had changed lanes at the same time my husband was changing lanes to avoid hitting the donkey. I screamed in horror as right before my very eyes, I saw the import hit the donkey head on.  The small car flipped in the most amazing cloud of sparks and fireworks I had ever witnessed. My husband  and I were both screaming at this point as he continued to swerve over into the far left lane to avoid running over the now fallen donkey and the rolling tumbling white car.
I started crying hysterically, crying, and shaking. I could still see the donkey's eyes looking at me in confusion. I realized that he was lost.
My husband did what he needed to do to get me to stop. Reminding me that it could have been us in that accident and that we were still alive. "We're still alive, Rebecca, you;ve got to stop crying, now." he repeated. quietly.  I got myself under control enough to call the police. They had a real hard time believing me. I think they thought I was a late night party animal and was seeing things. I kept repeating, "the car hit a donkey and flipped over." I think the donkey is dying, please get help here. Please send an ambulance for the driver." 
Neither my husband or I could not see how either the donkey or the driver of the car could have survived. We continued the drive back to our shop in stunned silence. I knew I had to greet my customers who would be waiting for us at the shop, so I busied myself with my compact and lipstick. I noticed my hand was shaking as I tried to apply some mascara to my swollen red eyes,so I gave that up and just started to pray. 

Grateful to God for sparing us, a whispered Hail Mary for the donkey and the driver. Confused about why the donkey was there in the first place, sad for the poor animal and the driver. I was in a daze the rest of the day, and even though my husband brought me a large coffee and chocolate donuts, my head was fuzzy. I saw myself in the mirror I keep in the back for touch- ups;  I looked scared.

December 2008 ~ I saw a flying donkey amidst a cloud of fireworks. I could'nt help but wonder...was this a sign of things to come? 

No comments:

Post a Comment